Quick Notes on the Senate Staff Meeting
Staff Senate meeting quick notes for the March 10, 2022 meeting:
Kelsey Harelson, college recess
- Member Services offers promotion to staff and faculty. To verify Arkansas News for links.
- In April, UREC will offer pro-rated memberships to staff members.
- The new tennis center will open on March 30. It is located behind Chick-fil-A on MLK. Day passes will be available for $15.
Shelly McNally and Donna Graham, Jean Tyson Development Center
Child Care Assistance Exploration Committee Report
- Models are being considered to see if changes can be made to meet the demand for on-campus child care.
- Jean Tyson is currently experiencing a major staff shortage.
- Since it is a state-licensed institution, staff-to-student ratios are held to a state standard.
- It is a laboratory-based and nationally accredited school.
- In summary, what are the main barriers to welcoming all staff/faculty children?
- The waiting list is very long.
- They only have 12 class places.
- Staffing capacity.
Debbie McLoud, HR Updates
- The pay frequency transition has been moved to June.
- The last monthly pay will be May 31. The HR website has resources to prepare for change.
- Postcards will be sent home.
- Performance reviews are due March 31.
- The 2021 Employee Awards Luncheons are taking place this week.
- There are several new faces in the HR office. Stop by and say hello!
- Filing vacancies is a recurring problem.
Gary Smith, Transit and Parking
- Lot 71 will be closed March 31 for a groundbreaking ceremony.
- The final closure of lot 71 is still under discussion.
- Scooters and motorcycles will switch to the license plate recognition system.
- Lot 68 has reopened but will soon be closed for paving.
- Some parking lots for scooters (173) are converted into parking lots for cars.
- There will be a crane in lots 48 and 49 during spring break.
- After spring break, changes will be made to bus routes.
- Parking lot security is being discussed with University Police.
Denise Bignar, Elections Committee
- We need 34 senators in total. 14 have expiring terms and 20 will remain in the Senate.
Emma Le Davis, EOQ
- The Employee of the Quarter winners were announced in Arkansas News.
- Nominations are open for Q3; the deadline is April 15.
Matthew Meyers, Legislative Committee
- We’ll keep everyone updated on what’s going on in Little Rock.
- Midterm elections reference guide can be found here.
Amy Shell, Child Care Assistance Exploration Committee
- The interest across the university is huge.
- Wait a week for Dean McCabe to present this to HR and Faculty Senate. We will then send you a survey.
- 90% of Jean Tyson’s children belong to staff and teachers.
- Peer institutions are surveyed for best practices.
- Several solutions are being discussed, including staggered tuition and a reduced staff rate.
Chancellor Search Update
- Charge of President Bobbitt.
- Meeting with ASG and a group of graduate students.
- What do campus staff expect from the new chancellor? There is a town hall scheduled for March 31 at 10 a.m. via Teams.
- Officers continue to meet with Acting Chancellor Charles Robinson on a monthly basis.
- There is no additional information regarding increases.
- Work is underway on the flexible/remote work policy at a rapid pace. They hope to present recommendations by May 1 and begin implementation by July 1.