Omaha fisherman’s house | VA Health Care Nebraska-Western Iowa
The Omaha Fisher House has 16 fully furnished suites and serves as a “home away from home” for families of veterans or military service members receiving care at the Omaha VA Medical Center. The property also has a large kitchen and dining area, an elevator and a full laundry room. The Omaha Fisher House allows family members to be close to their loved one during hospitalization by providing comfortable, free accommodations in a relaxed setting just steps from the hospital.
The Omaha Fisher House has 16 fully furnished suites and serves as a “home away from home” for families of veterans or military service members receiving care at the Omaha VA Medical Center. The property also has a large kitchen and dining area, an elevator and a full laundry room. There is no cost of stay and no financial eligibility is required.
The Fisher House program, established in 1990 by Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher, provides free, no-cost temporary housing to family members of hospitalized veterans and active duty military personnel. The Fisher House Foundation is committed to improving the quality of life for our men and women in uniform, our veterans, their families and their caregivers. For more information about the Fisher House Foundation, please visit FisherHouse.org.
What are the criteria for staying at the Fisher House?
- The guest’s permanent address must be more than 50 miles from the Omaha campus.
- VA providing a service or authorized by Care in the Community.
- Guest must be able to take care of themselves and be independent in activities of daily living.
- The guest must actively participate in the Veteran’s daily treatment plan and provide ongoing support during the episode of care.
- 1 room per family/veteran with a maximum of 2 occupants (temporary restriction due to COVID-19 – standard occupancy is 4 occupants).
- All requests will require a length of stay recommendation from the processing team.
- Guests under 18 are permitted on a limited basis due to COVID-19.
Click here to access a virtual tour of the house!
To be involved!
For questions about donations or how to get involved, please contact:
Manager of the fishermen’s house
The Omaha Fisher House program can be contacted by email at [email protected]
The Omaha Fisher House “Wish Lists” are available at the following links:
– Amazon Wishlist
– Target Wishlist
A printable version of our current requirements can be accessed here.
Our greatest needs right now are:
- Individually wrapped snacks
- Disposable coffee cups with lids
- Bottled water
- Visa and Hy Vee gift cards (these are used to buy weekly groceries for guests)
Right now we don’t need handmade blankets, children’s books or individual shampoos/soaps.
Donations to Fisher House can be made online by visiting this link.
Monetary donations can be sent to:
Omaha Medical Center in Virginia
4101 Woolworth Ave
Attention: Fisher House
Omaha, NE 68105
Checks can be made payable to “Omaha Fisher House”, with “1604” in the memo line.
Hardy Helpings Meal Program
The Hardy Helpings Meal Program is a way for individuals or groups to support families by providing a hot evening meal without ever leaving theirs. You can coordinate with a local restaurant/catering service of your choice and have it delivered to your doorstep on the date you have coordinated with Fisher House. Click here for more information!
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, internal volunteer opportunities will be available in the near future.