November 2022 Employee Wellness Newsletter – Albuquerque Public Schools
APS Employee Wellness Programs and Events
APS Employee Wellness offers many free programs to help all employees (regardless of benefits coverage or full/part-time status) reduce their risk of disease, achieve their lifestyle and weight loss goals as well as managing stress and mental health issues.
According to a 2022 Wellbeing Barometer survey, 72% of American employees are stressed about finances that have negatively affected mental and physical wellbeing as well as productivity. Finances are also one of the main causes of marital/partner conflicts.
Most of us could define financial well-being as the ability to meet current and ongoing financial obligations without worrying about where the money is coming from. Intrinsically, we all want the ability to make choices that also allow us to pay our bills and enjoy life.
Financial literacy is one of those gray areas where our knowledge about debt, loans, credit, investing, and saving depends on how and where we were raised and what we learned. Like many things that embody our total well-being, money matters are not always intuitive and simple concepts can become too complicated. However, money plays a major role in our well-being and therefore our disease.
This is why we are launching the Just on the money Challenge.
This is a virtual challenge that makes the sometimes daunting task of money questions fun!
Do you have questions about – Credit – Loans – Investments – Taxation?
Earn virtual money by learning about the topics most relevant to your life stage and financial interests. Learn actionable skills that you can bring to the bank in real life!
- Registration opens November 1. Download the app to play easily:
- Registration closes November 20 – Play begins November 14!
The virtual challenge runs from November 14 through December 11, and APS Employee Wellness will be awarding raffles in the categories below:
- 2-Week “Silver” Undergraduate Graduates
- 3rd and 4th week “Double Your Money” Round graduates
- “Sum Money” Completers and More!
If you have any questions, contact Employee Wellness at [email protected]
- Wednesday, November 9, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 16, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. – Let’s talk about credit –
- Wednesday, November 16, 8 a.m. or 12 p.m. – 15 minutes: How
- Mindset Monday, November 28, 11:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – 15 minutes-
Virtual and email wellness opportunities
- Life on Mindfulness: Discover your new website with password APSLOM. It’s a free and flexible program for all employees that offers daily walk-in meditations, weekly and monthly new content, featured meditations, and Saturday workshops. Everything is recorded for on-demand access. Links for daily tours and Saturday sessions are in the Register at for all content and email reminders. This site is optimized for mobile phones so you can access a wide variety of recorded meditations anytime, anywhere. *The Life on Mindfulness program is open to all APS employees.
- Health Coaching: Open to all APS employees. If you want help managing a chronic illness and losing weight to improve your health, or just feel better, APS offers for free to all APS employees.
- is an email-based program. And you’ll receive daily wellness emails with simple yet innovative practices to do every day. It will bring you new awareness around stress, sleep, movement, nutrition, connection and more! This is an ongoing program. Sign up and engage at your own pace. *Open to all APS employees.
- Livongo: Take back your life and manage diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity with this personalized program- The name is short for Live on the go! Because having a chronic illness can get in the way of our positive life experiences. We want you to take that back and feel better! Participants receive personalized coaching from experts and integrated tools to manage blood sugar, blood pressure and weight loss. *This program is free for eligible employees and dependents under APS benefits.
Short wellness presentations for school staff and APS departments. We can adapt to your needs and adapt the time ranges from 15 to 60 minutes. Some topics include:
- Just the Basics – APS Wellness Benefits and Resources
- Stress, burnout and resilience
- Social well-being
- Financial well-being
- Ergonomics and musculoskeletal health
- Understanding health and medical consumerism
This is for APS employees. If you would like to offer your staff or department a few hours of anti-stress therapy, complete thisPlease note that accommodations must be made for any colleagues allergic to dogs.
New! Group Classes Downtown/Alice and Bruce King Complex
- Monday (virtual) 6:00-6:30 a.m. – Sunrise Yoga link to join is in APS Employee Wellness Event calendar.
- Monday (in person) 4:45 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. – Gentle Vinyasa Yoga.
- Thursday (in person) 4:45 – 5:30 – BodyBalance – This is a fusion of bodyweight strength, yoga sequencing, flexibility and core. We mix traditional bodyweight training movements and yoga sequences with music, tempo and timing.
About the courses
- In-person group exercise classes are held at the City Center / Alice & Bruce King Complex.
- In-person classes are 45 minutes long and all skill levels are welcome.
- The courses are free for APS employees.
If you have any questions, contact Becky MacGregor at [email protected]